How A Special Education Law Attorney Can Help Your Student
If you have a child with a disability, you want to make sure they get the help they need. But fighting for your special education concerns on your own can be difficult. I am Sidney Kraizman, a special education lawyer dedicated to helping Michigan families with their special education concerns. With more than 40 years of experience, I can help you understand your options from reaching a settlement to handling litigation.
At the Law Office of Sidney Kraizman, I help families who have children with the following disabilities:
- Autism spectrum disorders
- Asperger’s syndrome (AS)
- Pervasive developmental disorder (PDD)
- Learning disabilities
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Attention deficit disorder (ADD)
- Cognitive impairment
- Severe multiple impairments
- Blind; visually impaired
- Cerebral palsy
- Deaf; Deafblind; hard of hearing; hearing impairment
- Down’s syndrome
- Emotional impairment
- Bipolar disorder
- Speech and language impairment
- Early Childhood Developmental Delay (ECDD)
The main concern for most families with special education concerns is providing adequate support for their child in the classroom. A student with a disability may need a reading program based on peer-reviewed research small group instruction. Some students may even need one-on-one instruction.
Is Your Child On The Autism Spectrum?
Every year, there are more identified cases of autism spectrum disorders affecting Michigan families. It is important to have legal representation to understand what the system must provide your family.
Every child with autism, AS or PDD has different needs. Interaction with regular education students can be helpful to your child. Training in social skills and a plan for positive behavior support is necessary along with managing a detailed accounting of progress. Many students with autism can be mainstreamed or included in regular education.
Fighting For Families
When you seek legal representation from an attorney dedicated to special education law, you will find relief from the frustration of seeming to “get nowhere” on your own. At Law Office of Sidney Kraizman, it is my job to help you and your family with every aspect of your special education concerns, including:
- Consultation and advice about your child’s education
- Obtaining independent education evaluation (IEE) at public expense
- Obtaining a proper evaluation
- Representation at the Individualized Educational Program (IEP) team meeting
- Drafting the special education complaint
- Representation at resolution sessions and mediations
- Representation at due process hearings
- Representation in federal court after due process hearing
- Special education enforcement
If you are not receiving the special education programs and services that are in your child’s Individualized Education Program (IEP), there are things I can do to help you and your family. By filing a state complaint with the Michigan Department of Education, I can help you to get the help that your child needs and deserves. Your school owes you compensatory education, and they must follow the requirements of the IEP.